Monday, May 01, 2006

Weekend Update

So, it's that time again when I cast my memory back over the few days past and see if I can remember anything interesting from the weekend to relate to you all...

Friday night - Leah and I walked to two hardware stores, both of which were closed. I needed some wire cutters in order to finish building a small table for our record player.

Saturday - I went back to the nearest hardware store, and asked the little old lady (?!) running the store if she had anything that would cut through steel cable. We looked at what she had on display, and then she went into the back and brought out these tres expensive wire clippers. I figured I might as well spend the extra $15 and buy the ones that would actually work.
I then went to a meeting with some other U of T students/grads to talk about our design ideas for a competition we are entering. The process involved sitting and drinking coffee, walking around, joking a lot, eating some lamb sausage hot-dogs, root-beer, gelato, and a fair amount of frustration. We came up with some pretty good ideas though.

When I went home, Leah and I finished work on the table. Actually, we almost finished work on it, and as I was doing the last bit of tightening up the steel cable, two of the clips holding everything together slipped. I tried cutting them off of the cable, so that I could reattach everything, but there was just no way. I ended up cutting the cable, leaving it 6 inches too short to be of any use. I was extremely frustrated, and will have to trek out to Canadian Tire again, at some point... The up side is that the table was looking pretty sweet before it fell apart... you can check out a sneak preview here, if you wish...

To celebrate, we worked on tax forms and a letter of recommendation that a friend needs for his grad school application...

Sunday - I finished up said letter. I also had time for some coffee/reading/annoyingly-loud lost 80s weekend radio at Nova Era...
Leah and I then went to an organ recital at the Anglican church where Leah has been rocking the flute for the last 5 years worth of Sunday mornings. Dr Willis Noble tore up some Bach and Schumann fugues for the 15 or so old folks that were in attendance. It is weird - he could be one of the best organists in Canada, and his pay-what-you-can recital rocks a pretty close to empty church.

We ended up skipping a good chunk of church. Afterwards, we went home. I went to bed, and Leah went to Sneaky's to see Julie Doiron...

No comments: