Monday, February 20, 2006

Weekend Update

The short version:

It was damn cold.

The long version:

Friday night - we hung out with 'the team', essentially an assortment of past roommates. Mike gave us a copy of his CD, which is really damn good. I can't wait for the official CD release at the REX; if you want to hear some great music, you should come to the show with Leah and I. The band is great, Mike's songs are great, and Dave Binnie (a sax player from NY) will be there as a special guest. You will most likely freak out, even if you aren't really into jazz.

For real. Check out Mike's site... two shows in Toronto, and then one in Ottawa and one in Montreal.

On a side note, the CD artwork was all done by Steve Byram, who you probably know best as the guy that did that Beastie Boys CD cover with the plane on it back in the day. Anyway, he's done a bunch of other packaging design too, and Mike's CD looks freaking awesome.

Saturday, we went to Kensington and bought groceries, despite the sick weather. We also went to the grocery store near our house - and then made lasagna... Mike and Don came over and I ate an uncomfortable amount of food.

Sunday - After Leah's work, we went to Queen street, where Leah bought a darn fine pair of converse all-stars. They are black hightops (the extra high ones), with olive green laces. And they also have flowers on the inside. Then we went to hang out at Chapters, where I read the first chapter or so of Blankets. It seemed pretty sweet, but I am suspicious because of all the rave reviews the book got...
(not that I am too cool for rave reviews, but when the subject matter of something is largely spiritual, and more specifically addresses issues involving western Christian culture and the church, then I find that the more vague and fuzzy and, well, anti-Christian a book is, the more favorable the reviews...) Anyway - I think I'm going to order it from the library, so I'll let you know how it goes...

No comments: