Monday, March 13, 2006

Week update

So, last week was pretty great. I left on Monday afternoon for Guelph - I took the Greyhound, which is not unpleasant when the sun is shining and the bus is pretty much empty. I listened to Sufjan's Michigan album, which seemed like the perfect soundtrack...

I got in to Guelph, and then took a cab to Loyola House, which is about 10 minutes from downtown. It is on some farmlands that have been owned by Jesuits since 1916. The house is basically a residential wing of small bedrooms, a wing of offices for staff, and a kitchen/dining/lounge section. There is also a chapel. The whole place is furnished in a simple style that reminded me of pictures of Shaker farmhouses. The lounge has a fireplace, large windows overlooking farm fields, rocking chairs, and blankets. The dining room is always open, and is stocked with coffee, tea, cookies and fruit. My room was basically a bed, a sink, a desk and chair, some drawers, and a rocking chair.

Everyday you are served 3 meals of amazingly good, simple food. There is mass at 11:30 each morning. And you meet with a director once a day for about 20 minutes. At this meeting you talk about each day, what you prayed about, and where you thought God was speaking to you and directing you. The directors are all old Jesuits, and they suggest scriptures to read and pray through. This meeting is pretty much the only time you talk every day.

For the rest of the time you can do whatever you want to. Mostly people pray, sleep, and write. I also went on long walks through snowy farm fields, and then later in the week through really wet thawing fields. I took a bunch of pictures too, which I will post once I get my film developed (yes, old school pictures).

That's about it. I got back on Saturday afternoon. It was a bit of a shock to go from such quiet right back into Toronto. I am trying to keep a little bit of quiet inside of me! I think God directed me in certain ways, and I am going to try to continue praying (listening) for these areas of my life.

Anyway - I will post more later. And pictures. I would recommend checking out the Jesuit retreat scene, if you ever get a chance. Zellyn and Jesse C., I think you guys would especially be into it.

No comments: