Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Here We Are Now...

I recently got around to replacing my lost library card - so I have been reading again. I seem to go through cycles where I read a lot, and then go illiterate for months at a time.

Anyway - I just picked up Gen X at lunch time. I have been wanting to reread it for a while, and a copy must have recently rotated into the local library branch up the street.

Every now and then I seem to find myself up against the idea of Generation X again. I'm barely old enough to qualify, so I feel a half step removed from the concept. But maybe not far enough away from it to be able to get a good overall look at it. What I do know is that Gen X seemed to have a lot to shout about at one point, and that all of that shouting somehow ended up being turned into cool music, books, and movies. While I like cool music, books, and movies, and think that they are important (we listen/read/watch to know we're not alone), I sometimes wonder what happened. I mean, Gen X issues were expressed a lot, but never really addressed in any real way, were they?! Everyone eventually moved on to the next thing. I guess I need to be a little more specific; maybe I will in a future post...

Anyway - I'm sure I will be finished reading the book shortly, so if you know of any other books that you think I should read (not necessarily about Gen X, just good books in general), please comment accordingly...

No comments: