Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Weekender

In Canada, we like to celebrate things before they happen in the USA. Thanksgiving comes way earlier, and Canada day comes before the 4th of July.

And Christmas happens on December 21st, to coincide with the solstice.

This weekend was a long one, in order to celebrate our home and native land. With the holiday landing on a Tuesday, some people were lucky enough to get Monday off too. I was one of those lucky people.

On Friday evening, Anne and Joel stopped by for a barbecue, and to practice some music with Leah.
On Saturday, we (mostly Leah) did the laundry, and then went to Anne's birthday party. For some reason it was themed (cowboys), and it featured a living room performance by Their Shallow Valley. Actually, half the performance took place in the living room, and then it moved out to the UHaul parking lot on Queen Street. It was quite the spectacle, since most of the band were ridiculously dressed due to the cowboy theme.
It was interesting to see who stopped to listen, and which nervous hipsters walked right past. I think maybe they were unsure how to interpret the situation (actually cool? / ironic cool? / actually lame ?... somebody please tell me if I am allowed to enjoy this music!)

On Sunday we had church at St George the Martyr (one of my fave Toronto churches). Afterwards we had a picnic in the park.

On Monday Leah had to work. I did perhaps the biggest/most expensive visit to the grocery store of my life so far. I also made the long trek out to Ikea, to buy a shelf that they were sold out of. Thinking quickly, I bought some random other piece of a bookshelf unit, which was actually a better size. I also bought a much needed fan at Canadian Tire. That night we went to the Cameron House for a rousing country extravaganza. Leah played bass and pretty much killed it. Anne and Joel were their usual engaging selves. And Chuck Diesel was in fine form. Among other things, he managed to strip down to his wife-beater mid song.

Yesterday we went to see the Visitor. I didn't know anything about it, other than the fact that it was written by the guy who wrote the Station Agent. I love watching good movies.

1 comment:

sue said...

Another one -- Victoria Day happens one week before Memorial Day.

Canada should get some holidays before MLK Day and Presidents Day.