Monday, July 21, 2008

Fact #2

During my last few weeks of high-school, I was taking some pinhole camera photographs for an art class, and was given free reign to roam around the building and premises. On one occasion, I grabbed two of my friends out of their class, and we took some pictures together.

This wasn't remarkable, but I remember being amazed that nobody questioned us. We were all decent students, and I suppose that the staff assumed (correctly, I guess, at least in my case) that we were supposed to be roaming around. And we certainly were not missing anything by not being in class.

I also took a few weeks off of school right before graduation, to go to Hawaii with my dad. I took my Calculus book, and the work that my teacher had assigned. I flew a few days before my father (frequent flyers can't be chosers), and had to navigate all kinds of screwed up flights and airline sponsored hotel accommodations on my own. While I was there, my dad was working. I would integrate and derive for a few hours each morning, and then bike to, and hike down into, this great Hawaiian valley. Or I would get a ride into town, and hang around on my own all day. When I got back to Georgia, I found out that my classmates had only covered a fraction of the material that I did.

I sort of wish that I had skipped a lot more of high-school.

2 comments:

ButterPeanut said...

that is pretty much the reason I think I might end up a homeschooler someday, or if I don't have kids, a wise recluse.

/dr. said...

me too! the times that i skipped school were amazing. but maybe those times were so good because we rarely did skip...

/dr.