Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Weekend Longue

On Friday I left work before noon and booted it down to U of T. I met Sue there, picked up the key for the storage closet at church, and then rolled down there to grab a bunch of sound gear, with Rachel's help. I loaded the gear into a milk crate, strapped it to my bike, and rode on home...

On Saturday, we headed out to Kitchener with a car FULL of people and guitars. We arrived at Nidus in time to set up for the FT worship session. Nidus was all about the hippy vibe, with outdoor pavilions as stages. Leah and the gang played a great (short) set, followed by Mike and the other gang. It was a little weird, since some people didn't seem aware that the point was to worship God, not sit and listen to some songs. Needless to say, there were plenty of FTers in the back getting their praise on.
Bradley was WAY more confident on guitar (this was his 2nd church appearance), and despite the ghetto setup, his shoegaze sensibilities were sounding pretty sweet... Also, Colin did a great job as guest drummer. Needless to say, Andrew and Leah were solid as usual...

We stuck around long enough to see the Aradhna set (always amazing), and catch the practicum part of Cyril and David's freestyle prayer tutorial. If you missed it, you may never again get a chance to hear David freestyle, or Jen McN..!

Other highlights included the full out tea tent set up and run by resident community-mongers Sarah and Chris Hale...


Sunday - we had pancakes in the park. Church was good. Leah, Andrew and Luke held down the music end of things, and David preached a great sermon on Psalm 130. Afterwards we booked it home for dinner, and then headed down to Lee's Palace.

Starflyer 59 was pretty darn sweet. I have never seen them live, and it was fun. Despite a slightly disappointing prerecorded bassist, it was a great show. I discovered during the last song that they sound about 1000 times better without earplugs... their sound somehow requires maximum volume, and the natural reverb that earplugs seem to cut. Anyway - it was way too loud, and I am way too old, to endure an entire set with no earplugs, but it was great anyway...

I also picked up Talking Voice vs Singing Voice, which I never bought before 'cause I never knew if it was actually good (which it is), and a new 4 song EP called I Win.

Monday - we went to Trinity Bellwoods for a picnic with the team. It was fun.

And that is it. It was a good weekend, although I do need to learn to RELAX more during my days away from work...

4 comments:

/dr. said...

sweet weekend!

/dr.

AZD said...

I say, relax at work!

ButterPeanut said...

"community mongers" -- I love that. that is what I wish I could be some day!

sue said...

it's all about relax at work.