Thursday, April 13, 2006

Taxing

Sometimes when you are filing taxes, you have questions. This is especially the case when you are filing multiple sets of taxes, for multiple people, for multiple countries.

So sometimes there are numbers that you have to phone. And not just the regular automatic 1-800 tax question numbers. I'm talking about obscure long distance numbers to someone in some cubicle in some grey government building in Pennsylvania...

And apparantly they do not have any sort of answering machine, or any way to put you in line on hold.

Their line is just busy.

All the time.

The good news is that I suspect that I can make up to US$80,000 before I have to pay tax on it in the US... (since I already pay tax on it here...)

[edit] I finally got through (after phoning every ten minutes or so for about 1n hour), and after about 30 minutes on hold (long distance), I was promptly told that they would need to speak to my wife, and not to me. Even though I do all of the taxes, our return is filed jointly, and I am her freaking husband... I don't mind paying taxes, but I wish I didn't have to waste my time and effort wringing answers like blood from a freaking rock... And now I have to get Leah to phone and ask them questions that she doesn't even know anything about... [/edit]

No comments: