Monday, August 20, 2007

The Update

On Friday evening some folks came over to our place for a barbecue. It was fun times (even though the Hubbles didn't show!)

Afterwards, Leah and I went to a late night showing of Dark Side of the Rainbow, at the Bloor cinema. This is basically The Wizard of Oz with the audio switched out for Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon. Supposedly, the album audio lines up with the film in all sorts of crazy ways - I had never seen it before, and was pretty interested to see how it works.

Given the merging of Pink Floyd with the freakiness of Oz, we fully expected a high number of stoners in the crowd. What we did not expect was for the ENTIRE audience to pretty much light up IN THE THEATRE as soon as they got through the doors. The kids in front of us even pulled a home-made bong out of their bag. Canada. The stench of weed, coupled with the precocious idiotic babble coming out of their mouths convinced us to move over to the far side of the theatre.

The movie/soundtrack thing was a bit of a let-down, in my opinion. Leah disagrees, but aside from the odd (admittedly pretty cool) synchronicity, the main highlights for me were seeing the OZ movie (I don't think I'd ever seen it all, and frankly, if you more or less know the story, you don't need the audio), and listening to the album through cinema speakers.

We got home too late.

On Saturday I went to the furniture bank, for their monthly sale. I scored a fairly nice (albeit huge) coffee table for $31 (which included a $6 delivery fee!). That evening we watched Looking for Leonard, a kinda not-great indie Canadian film, which I plucked at random from the shelves of Blockbuster, and which turned out to be more enjoyable and better than your average non indie/foreign movie.

On Sunday, I took a fairly major nap before church, and then we some how ended up at Rice Bar. Again! (On the way there, we drove past a crazy man skipping energetically up Spadina with his pants pulled down...)

2 comments:

Leah said...

Trent--I think I enjoyed Oz/Darkside more than you because you have breathing problems and I do not and so it is quite possible that I was stoned from second-hand bong smoke while you would have remained sober due to said breathing difficulties.

Love,

Your Wife

Jamie said...

I still haven't seen this, I own Wizard of Oz and still have my borrowed copy of darkside of the moon from my cousin chris ... I should really get on that.