Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Wednesday

So last night I watched my first ever real-life (not on TV) hockey game. I got a pair of Leafs tickets from work (>$150 each!) for coming up with a (fairly crappy-looking) header for an internal newsletter.

Despite having a stupidly annoying headache and not really knowing all the rules of hockey (icing, off-sides, etc???) it was good times. The place was packed, and the whole event was one giant spectacle. The game was pretty good, with Toronto winning 2-1 over the NJ Devils.

There was even a fight, which lasted about a minute and a half. I couldn't believe that the refs just stand by and let these two fools pound on each other's helmets. (I found out this morning that the NJ guy apparantly almost knocked out a Leafs player last time the two teams played - so they sent there biggest dude in last night to punch him for a few minutes...) Everyone in the crowd got really excited, and it was one of those moments that made me feel kinda gross... like humans are really just a bunch of savage idiots. Apparantly it is 'all part of the game' though.

I heard once that the average person in N America is exposed to something like 3000 advertisements per day. Leah and I must have each tripled that in a few short hours at the ACC!

-----
This morning I walked a half hour to St Clair West because the streetcar wasn't running.

No comments: