Thursday, November 27, 2008

Happy Thanksgiving

Last night I went to the AGO - it is free on Wednesdays.

I wanted to see the newly unveiled Frank Gehry renovation. Overall, I think it is well done - it is sort of the opposite of the ROM. Fairly reserved - well thought out - and I found the new galley spaces way less annoying than the labyrinthine older galleries are.

Also - I saw some pretty cool art. There was a FREAKY sculpture by Evan Penny - I can't find a picture of it online - it is an astonishingly realistic bust, but stretched out vertically to an alarming aspect ratio. It is really crazy.

There was also a huge cube sculpture covered in iron filings, by Mona Hatoum. The filings make visible the magnetic field formed by a whole bunch of covered magnets. The thing looks furry and rippled, and is almost impossible to not touch.

Lastly, in that big windshield of a space along Dundas street, there were huge vertical sculptures by Giuseppe Penone. These consited mostly of huge pieces of wood, with portions carved down to the size and shape of the tree at some point in its past life. They are amazing - check out some pics...

No comments: