Monday, January 23, 2006

Weekend

I think this blog needs retiring, since it no longer serves any useful purpose...

This weekend was weird; I didn't have to do much, but then I ended up feeling kind of aimless and anxious, like I was wasting my free time.

Highlights... Dinner at Mike's (he and Leah spent Friday afternoon and Saturday recording Leah), and then going to Clinton's (not great) with the whole gang (great). I had coffee while everyone drank beer etc.

Saturday - we went to a show/party at Don and Kevin's. What can I say about the show?.. Leah and I (and Mike and Kat, for that matter) felt quite old. We did get to see Laura Barrett, which made the whole evening worthwhile. She played one of those thumb pianos, and it sounded amazing. Everything else was closer to performance art than music (Yes I understand that that's probably the point, but I prefer my music as music). Also, I tend not to like entire sets of covers, and the unfortunate 'I made most of this at home so I'm singing to a CD' phenomenon of Karaoke shows. Actually, the Blankket guy's cover songs sound good, but there's a lot going on that's not about the music.

It made me realize that I like music as self-expression - music where people put themselves out there in the songs. Art about art, or art about the medium of the art, or art about the viewer's experience of the art; all of that stuff can be interesting, but I can rarely connect at any deeper level. I think people are scared to be themselves, and especially scared to do so in any artistic medium. Easier and safer to do something weird and unusual, and maybe ironic, and keep your heart where it's safe.

Other highlights included lunch at the Moonbean, and of course church.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree. Aw Trent, you so smart.